Mild steel or wrought iron shaft are available in lengths varying from 6 to 10 meters, so as to make them handy and easy to transport. More lengthy shafts cannot be manufactured in a correct form to be used for power transmission. In engineering practice shafts of large lengths are required to transmit the torque which can be obtained by joining two or more shafts in order to obtain the required length. The joining of shafts is done by device is called as coupling.
Split type coupling is used to connect two shafts which are parallel &in alignment. here normally all couplings are made of Cast iron. But it withstands the vibration only not heavy shocks and backlash during power transmission .so in order to withstand vibration as well as heavy shocks(intermediate load) we manufacture the coupling with stainless steel material. And another thing is we won’t machine the shaft while fix this kind of coupling we can directly coupled both shaft by this coupling
REQUIREMENTS OF A GOODSHAFT COUPLING:
1. It should be easy to connect or disconnect.
2. It should transmit the full power from one shaft to other shaft without losses.
3. It should hold the shafts in perfect alignment.
4. It should reduce the transmission of shock loads from one shaft to another shaft.
- High power transmission 10% more than flange coupling
- Made of S.S
- Used in dying and textile industry
- Zero loss in transmission
- It will with stand the back lash also
- Maintenance free