Today automobiles are identified as one of the major causes of air pollution and energy depletion. Vehicles are also identified for their low efficiency in other words high-energy loss. Hybrid Electric Vehicles have the capacity to overcome these situations and bring a new revolution.
Any vehicle that combines two or more sources of power that can directly or indirectly provides propulsion power is a hybrid. The gasoline electric hybrid vehicle is just the required type of crossbreed between a gasoline powered vehicle and electric vehicle. Hybrid vehicles run both with a rechargeable battery as well as gasoline. In a hybrid engine, power from gasoline and power from a set of batteries transmits power to an electric motor.
There are less adverse effects due to the Hybrid electric vehicles. Also the batteries used in hybrid vehicles (rechargeable Nickel metal hydride, Lead acid batteries, Lithium Polymer batteries) are disposable which will not pose any toxic hazards to the environment. The notable fact in hybrid vehicles is that the DC machine is that it can run both as a Motor as well as a generator.
In addition, hybrid vehicles make use of a system that recovers power from the momentum of the vehicle when braking. The Hybrid vehicles are complicated machines when compared to their counterparts of the gasoline-powered vehicles. But higher efficiencies, lower emissions of hybrid vehicles grabs the attention of the new ERA. The other facilities of these hybrid vehicles i.e. performance, manufacturing cost and environmental impacts are discussed in this paper.
- Overall Length : 1245 mm
- Overall Width : 851 mm
- Overall Height : 1400 mm
- Wheelbase : 1016 mm
- Ground Clearance : 184 mm
- Seating Capacity : 1
- Unladed Weight : 100 Kg.
- Laden Weight : 200 Kg.
- Type : 2 Stroke ,Air Cooled
- Number of Cylinder(s) : 1
- Engine Capacity : 50 cc
- Maximum Output : 1.75 BHP @ 4500 RPM
- Maximum Torque (NM) : 3 N-m @ 3500 RPM
- Type : A.C. Type.
- Phase : 1φ
- Power : 1HP
- RPM : 1450 RPM
- Voltage : 230 V
- Engine : Chain Transmission
- Motor : Belt Driven
- Rear : Compression Coil Springs
- Front :Hydraulic Shock Absorbers.
- Fuel Tank : 3 LITRES.
- Complexity of design : Average
- Design Cycle : 60 Days
- Development Cycle : 60 Days (Interlaced with design)
- Design and Development time : 95 days (combined)
- Fuel economy of vehicle : 40 Kmpl.
- Average run per charge : N/A (50 Km – approximated)
- Average time for charge : 6 Hrs (between consecutive runs)
- Weight of vehicle : 100 Kg.
- Control Type : Fully Automatic/Manual
- Body dimensions : 1245 x 851 x 1400 mm
- Fuel Type : Gasoline / Electric
- Engine Power : 1.75 BHP
- Electric Traction Power : 1 H.P.
- Seating Capacity : 1 Person (expandable to 2)
- Fuel carrying capacity : 3 liters
By using a Hybrid Electric engine we can not only reduce Environmental pollution but also reduce the wastage of the depleting Fossil fuels. Though we are using an IC engine of about 30-45% efficiency, the motors and generators we use are about 70-85% efficient. This may bring the overall efficiency up to 50-70%. Also we can use the energy wasted by using brakes which is about 12-15% of total efficiency. By taking the above measures we can increase the mileage from a mere 12-20km/lt to about 25-30km/lt although the Air Conditioner is running. This makes the Hybrid Electric Vehicles a sensation.